FOR IMMEDIATE RELEASE – 04-Aug-2003
The OpenPKG project releases version 1.3 of the
unique cross-platform software packaging facility.
http://www.openpkg.org/ — Munich, DE — August 04, 2003 — The
OpenPKG project is proud to announce version 1.3 of its OpenPKG
software. Well known by vigilant Unix system administrators, OpenPKG
is the world leading instrument for deployment and maintenance of Open
Source software when administration crosses Unix platform boundaries.
The unique OpenPKG architecture leverages proven technologies like
Red Hat Package Manager (RPM) to establish a unified administration
environment, independent of the underlying operating system.
NEW IN VERSION 1.3
OpenPKG 1.3 now fully supports FreeBSD 4.8 and 5.1, Debian GNU/Linux
2.2 and 3.0, Red Hat Linux 9, SuSE Linux 8.2, and Sun Solaris 8 and 9.
Thanks to its portable nature, other platforms with partial support
include NetBSD, OpenBSD, Gentoo Linux, HP Tru64, SCO UnixWare and QNX.
Since the previous release a half year ago, the OpenPKG package
repository has again grown by 25%. A subset of 400 packages were
carefully selected for inclusion into the OpenPKG 1.3 release,
including proven versions of popular Open Source Unix software like
Apache, BIND, GCC, INN, MySQL, OpenSSH, PostgreSQL, Samba, Squid,
and Vim. All packages were tuned to work with the latest GNU C/C++
Package quality was enhanced by the rigorous application of fully
automated package input and output checking ("linting"). This was
achieved by applying programmatic constraints on style, syntax and
semantics of package specifications.
The run-command (RC) facility was improved and now provides consistent
log file rotation and allows smarter package upgrade/erase procedures.
Over 40 daemon packages were enabled for logging via either the more
flexible OSSP fsl or the native syslog(3) facility.
Finally, the essential bootstrapping package was functionally
enhanced, reduced in distribution size, made more robust and its
system requirements were relaxed even further.
HIGHLIGHTS OF OPENPKG
* Portable across major Unix platforms.
* Supports FreeBSD 4/5, Debian 2/3, RedHat 9, SuSE 8.2 and Solaris 8/9.
* Entirely based on Open Source Software technology.
* Minimum operating system intrusion and dependency.
* Minimum overhead in software packaging.
* Provides 400 carefully selected packages.
* Easy installation, updating and deinstallation of packages.
* Bundled with useful and secure package preconfigurations.
* Includes an abstracted and powerful run-command facility.
* Virtual hosting through multiple instances on a single system.
* Proxy packages for reusing packages across instances.
* Build-time package variations for maximum flexibility.
* Foundation to build encapsulated and self-contained environments.
HISTORY OF THE OPENPKG PROJECT
The OpenPKG project was founded in 2000 by Cable & Wireless, who first
released it as Open Source software in January 2002. Today OpenPKG is
a mature technology in production use, and is maintained and improved
by its original developers and volunteer contributors.
OpenPKG is the brainchild of Ralf S. Engelschall, principal author of
numerous other popular Open Source Software technologies like Apache
SSL/TLS Engine (mod_ssl), Apache URL Rewriting Engine (mod_rewrite),
GNU Portable Threads (Pth), GNU Portable Shell Tool (Shtool), Website
META Language (WML) and more.
The OpenPKG Project